The primary aim of the Open Art Display is to demonstrate the breadth of contemporary visual art and craft currently being produced by artists who are living, working and making a living through their artistic practice within the City of Plymouth.
By opening up a Council building, it aims to provide a free opportunity for Plymouth visual artists to raise their profile and showcase their work in an inspiring and iconic city centre location.
In devising a new Open Art Display, we hope to:
- establish a transparent and representative open call and selection process
- establish a selection committee made up of key Council Members from both parties
- develop a series of programme of changing displays of original artworks by local artists for display in the main hall on the ground floor
- provide an opportunity for artists to raise their profile amongst Council Members and the wider public, through display, promotion and events held in the Council House and Council Chamber
- further develop display cases to allow 3D works / craft to be displayed (2014)