Council House Art
City Councillors have been inspired by Plymouth artist, Martin Bush, to take action in support of Plymouth’s creative economy. The artist encouraged Councillors to develop a new programme of open displays and talks at the Council House for practicing and aspiring artists living in Plymouth.
The programme is supported by a Community Grant from Councillor Chris Penberthy and is a demonstration of Plymouth’s Co-operative Council and its commitment to creativity and the creative economy.
The Council House
The Council House, along with the rest of the Civic Centre Precinct, was proposed by the City Architect in 1954, and gave the post war city a focal point where it should be – in the centre.
Opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 26 July 1962, the Council House interior is of national significance and includes high quality architectural features and artists commissions.
The overall design and architecture is a key reason for the listed building status of the site. Stairs from the main entrance hall to the first floor and into the Council Chamber are surrounded by an imposing glass screen engraved by the artist, John Hutton. Horizontal ash panelling, chequered-pattern marble mosaic floor, embossed ceiling tiles and green Orrefors glass pendant lights, give a sense of unity and spaciousness to the two ground floor lobby areas. The internal columns are clad in local Ashburton marble on one face and in white Sicilian marble on the other. The Members’ rooms and the five committee rooms are entered from the lobby, and are used for meetings between Councillors and constituents, business partners and investors in the City.